Pet Safety

Woody’s Pet Food Deli Recall – Salmonella Infection

Minnesota Department of Agriculture, or MDA, announced yesterday a recall of a raw turkey product sold by Woody’s Pet Food Deli. The recall was prompted by a case of Salmonella poisoning in a pet owner who reported routinely feeding Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey to their dog.

Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey has been blamed for a case of Salmonella poisoning in a pet owner.
Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey product is recalled after being linked to a human case of Salmonella infection.

The strain found by doctors matched, say health experts, the strain being investigated in a multi-state outbreak linked to other raw turkey meat products.

This raw pet food was packaged in 5-pound plastic tubs, like the ones you see in the photo MDH provided. There are 3 affected lot numbers:

  • Use by date: 01/10/20
  • Use by date: 01/12/20
  • Use by date: 01/15/20

If you have any of this on hand you are, of course, urged not to feed any more of it to your dog or cat. Simply throw it away, MDH suggests, or return it. And if you need more information you can speak to a Woody’s representative by calling:

  • Minneapolis – 612-208-0335
  • St. Paul – 651-493-7269
  • Woodbury – 651-340-8678

No other details about the health of the apparent victim were provided. Officials have revealed that the dog was also infected but the Salmonella found in it is of a different strain.

In people, symptoms of Salmonella infection include diarrhea, abdominal pain and fever. In dogs, symptoms include lethargy, loss of appetite, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. Dogs can carry the bacteria (and spread it to humans) without appearing sick themselves.

###